Neurological rehabilitation is a process that can optimize the patient’s sense of well-being as well as their participation in society. There are several important features of neurological rehabilitation that highlight its importance. Rehabilitation is not an intervention.
It focuses on the affected patient as a person and their goals related to their health, well-being, and social functioning. It isn’t restricted to patients who might or might not recover completely or even partially but is applicable to all patients with long-term problems.
The main difference between neurological rehabilitation and traditional neurology is the broader scope of the former. Neurological rehabilitation extends beyond the underlying pathology, and the first step towards this is the primary diagnosis at the top neurology hospital in Bangalore.
Signs that a patient needs neurological rehabilitation
Any patient who is suffering from a neurological condition can be referred for neurological rehabilitation through an order or a prescription provided by a doctor. Here are a few symptoms that might prompt the doctor to refer the patient for neurological rehabilitation:
- Abnormal muscle tone
- Muscle weakness
- Pain impairment in eye-hand coordination
- Vision impairment
- Impairment in problem solving, memory, and thinking skills
- Difficulty speaking, swallowing or performing daily activities like eating, bathing, or dressing
Neurological rehabilitation diagnoses that can help patients
Patients with one of the following diagnoses can benefit a lot from neurological rehabilitation:
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Neuromuscular Disorders
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Movement Disorders
- Memory Disorders
- Herniated Disc
- Diabetic Neuropathy
- Congenital Neurological Disorders
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT)
- Cerebral Hemorrhage
- Brain Tumor
- Brain Injury
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
While the patient will continue to undergo treatment from their primary care team especially who are graduated through Study Abroad Countries, the neurological rehabilitation team can provide additional therapies and treatments.
A typical rehabilitation team includes highly skilled professionals who are dedicated to all needs of the patient. The best treatment plan for the patient is created after a thorough evaluation. Here are some team members that work on neurological rehabilitation:
- Psychiatrists – Doctors who specialize in physical medicine and neurological rehabilitation.
- Neuropsychologists – These are the professionals who see patients for behavioral and cognitive issues related to stroke, brain injury, or other illnesses. They work with the patient and help them get used to all the changes according to their level of ability. Also, they might recommend treatments like stress reduction techniques or cognitive therapy.
- Physical therapists – These professionals treat and help patients with an injury or disease that has resulted in pain or loss of strength, balance, coordination, and range of motion. The goal of therapy sessions is to restore the person’s ability to do physical tasks like moving, standing up, etc.
- Occupational therapists – The job of an occupational therapist is to assess whether the patient is able to do daily tasks like eating, toileting, bathing, and dressing. They work with them to make sure that they are able to do as much as they can on their own. If ordered by the physician, they might also perform vision assessments.
- Speech-language pathologists – These professionals treat the patients with thinking and speech skills. Such problems are quite common among patients who have suffered a brain injury, stroke, or any illness that might have resulted in changes to their nervous system. They also work with patients who aren’t able to swallow properly.
- Therapeutic Recreation Specialists – They help professionals in developing or pursuing their leisure interests. They provide resources for community involvement and support so that they can continue after they have left the rehabilitation unit.
Neurological rehabilitation at the top neurology hospital in Bangalore has been designed for helping patients with neurological or nervous system diseases. It aims to reduce debilitating systems, increase patients, and improve their quality of life.